If somebody were being to question you how to clean hardwood floors, you would photo a mop and bucket, correct?
Actually, there is a good deal extra to it than that. Based on your floor kind and complete, the best products and techniques will range. For occasion, you may possibly have one of the most effective vacuum cleaners, but that vacuum cleaner could actually be scratching your flooring.
Really do not fear: Listed here we will take you by means of the best process to clear your hardwood floors, step-by-phase. So you really don’t require to stress about causing injury as you cleanse — moreover, you can assume streak-free of charge success. Here’s how to clean up hardwood floors.
How to clean up hardwood flooring
What you can expect to have to have
Microfiber mop or broom
Difficult flooring cleansing solution
Wooden flooring polish or ground wax (optional)
1. Initial, decide on every thing up off the flooring and move any obstacles out of the way, this sort of as chairs. It is a excellent thought to check out that no one particular is heading to need to have entry to the space prior to you cleanse it, as well — the previous point you want is pawprints dried into the finish!
2. Upcoming, decide on up any quick dust making use of a microfiber mop these types of as the Turbo Microfiber Mop Floor Cleaning Program ($39.95, Amazon) or a dustpan and broom. Work your way all around the total flooring, getting confident to access underneath household furniture and into the corners. This is all you will need to do for gentle everyday cleansing.
3. If you’ve acquired heavier debris scattered all around, these types of as crumbs and dry mud, then it is time to break out the vacuum cleaner. In advance of you soar the gun, make sure you use the tough flooring location, or raise the brush bar manually — this will stop it from likely scratching your flooring.
It’s also worth checking out the wheels on your vacuum cleaner plastic can scratch, even though if they are rubberized they will be kinder to your floors. You could alternatively use 1 of the finest robotic vacuums to preserve you the time and hard work of this action.
4. Now that your flooring are distinct of debris, next appear the mop and bucket. At the time once more, a microfiber head design is recommended. You will will need to use a challenging-floor cleaning solution — follow your flooring manufacturer’s instructions about which manufacturer of cleaner to use.
Drinking water by itself can injury particular hardwood flooring as it can swell and discolor the wooden, so resist this urge. The mop head must only be moist, not sopping damp, and be well prepared to rinse it routinely. Stay clear of leaving standing water on the flooring, especially if it is prefinished wood.
If you want an straightforward way to apply the tough-ground cleansing remedy, some flat mops appear with constructed-in dispensers, these kinds of as the Bona Hardwood Ground Premium Spray Mop ($37, Amazon).
Do not use a steam cleaner except your flooring producer advises it as these can harm hardwood floors. You should really also be careful close to electrical vacuum mops as most are only acceptable on sealed floors — once again, examine with your flooring producer for direction.
If you want to use a all-natural cleaner, such as vinegar mixed with water, you ought to also examination this on an inconspicuous spot 1st, as vinegar can boring and hurt the area.
5. Area off every place as you mop so you don’t miss out on any regions, and consider where by you will be remaining standing once you have concluded cleansing — you never want to corner you and stop up walking more than your freshly cleaned ground.
6. Now you want to aid the floor dry as swiftly as attainable. You have a handful of alternatives here: You can leave windows and doors open up to ventilate the space, you can change on the ceiling fans, or you can go more than the ground with a new and dry microfiber cloth.
7. If you want to go the full 9 yards, you can also utilize wooden floor polish or ground wax once the flooring is dry to superior seal and defend it in the foreseeable future. This also provides a wonderful glow.
Bear in head that you need to only do this every single couple a long time, or as often as the producer suggests. You also should not wax laminate-wooden flooring or engineered hardwood. Test with your manufacturer if you are doubtful. We recommend the Rejuvenate Expert Wood Floor Restorer and Polish ($21, Amazon).
How typically should you thoroughly clean hardwood floors?
You should give the floors a swift dust or a sweep as frequently as possible — if it is a high-traffic space, dust at least a couple of instances a 7 days. Vacuuming your hardwood flooring is suggested weekly. It’s vital to retain up this routine as rogue stones that are carried in by shoes and animals can simply scratch the flooring.
We recommend mopping your hardwood floors as frequently as needed, though every single 3 to 4 weeks is most effective practice. You have to have to wax or finish your floors substantially considerably less frequently this only demands to be accomplished each and every couple a long time.
Tips to hold your hardwood flooring thoroughly clean and undamaged
- Take away shoes — It seems like common feeling, but make sure sneakers are taken off at the doorway. Putting a mat on the inside of your doorway can also enable to gather any particles that will make it by.
- Never use the brush bar — Make certain your vacuum is established to tough floor cleaning and the brush bar is raised. This is to avert it from scratching your ground as it vacuums.
- Safeguard your flooring — Devote in rugs and protective pads to go under your home furnishings legs. That way you won’t end up leaving scratches when you move the home furnishings.
- Select up a spill as speedily as attainable — Don’t go away a fresh stain to established on your hardwood floors, this will only make it more tricky to get rid of later.
- Continue to keep up your cleansing program — If you do not now, get into the practice of cleaning and maintaining your hardwood flooring. They will past more time and look much better for it.