DMV real house hunts: Suburban sprawl
Fiancés Evan Nielson (L) and John Díaz. Picture: Evan Nielson
D.C.’s pandemic industry has been bewildering for customers and sellers — from lower-stock sparking bidding wars to superior home loan premiums drying up the competitors.
Why it issues: We arrived at out to subscribers to find out about their homebuying journeys. We’ll bring you their tales, just about every at distinct price tag factors, in excess of the next few weeks.
These initial-time buyers want to distribute out
👋 Who: Occasion planner Evan Nielson and his fiancé John Díaz, an IT supervisor, rented a Pentagon Town condominium for most of the pandemic, but last summertime the pair decided it was time to acquire a little something of their possess.
“We appreciate collecting and setting up LEGO sets, so we required a area to display these,” Evan tells Axios. More area for by themselves was an included reward, far too.
- Their LEGO selection includes a fully useful rollercoaster and a Star Destroyer.
Evan treks downtown two to a few days a week even though John operates from residence. In advance of they started out their residence research neither owned a auto, and they hoped to maintain it that way.
- 💰 Price range: $500,000 – $600,000
- 📍Wished-for site: Arlington or Alexandria
- 🔎 Started off looking: June 2022
- ❤️ Would like record: Storage area, transit obtain, huge kitchen
🏡 Selection 1: Cozy condo
- Two-bedroom, two-rest room | 880 square toes | Ballston | $579,900
- Professionals: Place, place, site. And tons of closet place.
- Cons: Rather little. Didn’t love that it’s on the to start with ground.
🏡 Alternative 2: New construct in the ‘burbs
- Two-bed room, two-bathroom | 1,397 sq. feet | Reston | $555,900
- Execs: Fashionable, brand new, and fully current.
- Drawbacks: Locale, location, location. Reston is significantly.
🏡 Possibility 3: What kitchen desires are made of
- A few-bed room, 2.5-toilet | 1,642 square ft | Alexandria | $549,000
- Professionals: They loved the kitchen and storage.
- Downsides: As well significantly from bus and Metro.
🎉 Winner: Option 2! Evan and John fell in adore with the shiny new Reston rental, shelling out $555,900 for extra area and fashionable finishes.
They compromised significant-time on area – Evan usually takes a bus to get to the Metro for his hour-plus commute. And they caved on the motor vehicle, much too, much easier for outings to the grocery shop in the suburbs.
- “What we could get out there was way greater than what we could get closer downtown,” Evan states of their Reston alternative.